Wednesday, May 06, 2009

Learning the Ropes


After the failed attempt last week, this week we were able to actually play the Lord of the Rings Strategy Battle Game. We didn't play a full game since we were learning. Instead, we started out just facing a couple of miniatures against each other as I explained the rules, adding a few more in to explain different points. Then when we were comfortable that we had a basic grasp, we put an approximately equal number of points in the middle of the table and had at it.

We ended up with ten Warriors of Minas Tirith and a Captain against eight Uruk-Hai and a Captain. It was a close battle with the advantage swinging back and forth until my opponent managed to trap my Uruk-Hai Captain in place with some flanking moves and did the two wounds he needed to do in order to take him out.

At this point I noticed that both forces were broken (under half strength) and explained the Courage rules. His Captain was able to make his courage tests while my remaining force dwindled away over the next couple of turns, not having a Hero to make Stand Fast saves for them.

We both enjoyed the game, and my opponent left with the Mines of Moria starter box and a plan to start a Moria force. He's already got a Balrog painted up, so it looks like I'm going to need to get some more heroes, since I don't even have enough points yet to match that monstrosity!

Below is the situation right before my Captain got trapped and killed:


No comments:

Post a Comment