Sunday, September 28, 2008

Traveller Metal

Doing some searches for images of Vargr for my play-by-post Traveller game I stumbled across a band called Slough Feg (formerly The Lord Weird Slough Feg) that did an album titled Traveller back in 2003. I'm not a huge metal fan, but I read some reviews online and listened to some clips on iTunes and decided to go ahead and buy the album. I'm still not a huge metal fan, but it's an enjoyable listen, especially given the subject matter. With track titles like Spinward Marches, Vargr Moon, and High Passage/Low Passage it's hard to go wrong!

Based on the reviews I've read, if you are a metal fan you should like this album a lot. The reviews I've seen are uniformly positive, with lots of 10/10, 100% and 5/5 ratings.

According to an interview with the apparent founder of the band, Mike Scalzi, the album concept is based on a story he wrote set in the Traveller universe. I'm still puzzling out the overall plot from the lyrics myself, but it seems to be about a Vargr Corsair who is experimented upon by a human scientist, possibly attempting to create a human/vargr hybrid. I keep getting distracted by stuff whenever I sit down to listen to the actual lyrics, so I could be off a bit, but it's something like that.

Scalzi is not a gamer currently, but has a love of the Traveller universe from his gaming days back in school, and it shows in this album. If you like either metal or Traveller, give this one a listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment